‘Fixed Income Market Colloquium’ held at the Ministry of the Economy and Finance to discuss new rules for the government securities market
Rome, July 5, 2017 – In view of the entry into force on January 1st 2018 of the new MiFID II Directive and MiFIR Regulation a two-day colloquium on the evolution of the Fixed Income Market was held at the Ministry of the Economy and Finance. The international conference, organised by the Ministry of the Economy and Finance (Department of Treasury - Public Debt Directorate) and by MTS (Mercato Telematico dei titoli di Stato), provided a useful opportunity for major public debt managers, European Commission representatives, relevant authorities as well as market operators to exchange opinions with a view to assessing the impact of the new EU rules regulating government securities markets and negotiating platforms.
Issues such as the transparency, structure and evolution of markets, the Capital Market Union project and the evolution of liquidity in the secondary market for government securities were discussed. Presentations were made by several speakers, including among others, the Governor of Banca d’Italia, Ignazio Visco, the Chairman of Consob, Giuseppe Vegas, a member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank, Peter Praet, as well as the Director General of the Treasury, Vincenzo La Via, the Head of the Public Debt Directorate, Maria Cannata and representatives of the financial and academic community. The Minister of the Economy and Finance, Pier Carlo Padoan, delivered his speech at the official dinner.
- Sam Langfield, European Systemic Risk Board
- Giuseppe Vegas, Chairman of Consob
- Peter Praet, Member of the Executive Board of the BCE
- Carmine di Noia, Consob
- Anderson Caputo Silva, World Bank
- Andrea Enria, Chairperson EBA (European Banking Authority)
- Mario Nava, Director, Financial System Surveillance and Crisis Management Directorate-General for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union European Commission
- Maria Cannata, Head of the Public Debt Directorate
- Roberto De Santis, Principal Economist European Central Bank Directorate General Monetary Policy Capital Markets / Financial Structure Division
- Filippo Mormando, CRIEP
- Market structure and evolution – Luigi Belluti (Head of Group Treasury UniCredit SpA – Chairman Assiom Forex)